Thursday, December 27, 2007

Almost Time...

Christmas was wonderful this year. We spent an evening with Clancy's mom. We attended the candlelight service on Christmas Eve at our little country church in Puposky. On Christmas Day, we celebrated with my siblings and parents at my brother's house. It was just a lovely holiday through and through.
Wednesday was back to work, and work is pretty busy at the ski hill during the vacation break.
This evening I walked past the chick tub in the living room and noticed little heads peering over the edge at me. I knew the chickies weren't little fuzz balls anymore, but I hadn't realized they were big already.
Only one chick has tiny bits of down left on it's head. As soon as that one feathers out just the last little bit these darlings are going out to the coop. They have totally outgrown the tub, and any day now one of them is going to figure out how to hop through the slight space I left for ventilation. I'd rather not have chickens fluttering about the house. It's bad enough having them in a corner. They are starting to smell like chickens. The bedding has to be changed frequently to minimize the odor.
How do I get myself into these messes? This is the third time in two years I've raised chicks in the house.
All the good reasons for bringing the chicks in are fresh in my mind. Going back over the events as they played out, I'm sure I would have made the same choices. So I might as well just accept the situation. I'm raising chicken's in the house...again. And they are so cute, just like baby animals always are...

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Ha... I can't even come up with good reasons why I do some of the things I do anymore! I usually just keep telling myself...well, I HAVE to do this, and it will only be for a little while. I think that part of being a 'farmer' is to go the extra mile to insure your 'livestock' survive... even if it means having to make sacrifices occasionally. And baby chicks are so darn cute---but I'm always ready to kick them out too by the time they are ready! So stinky and messy! Just enjoy while you can I reckon. ;-)
Tammy

Nancy K. said...

What a wonderful validation of Life as 2007 draws to a close and winter tightens it's icy grip. I'll look forward to seeing pictures of those chicks, chasing bugs in the grass, next Spring...

Ebonwald Cardigans said...

just the look on their faces is enough for me to say 'yes'.

kind of like the blue eyed ZOE :)

they do smell, but they are indeed a miracle story :)

Becky Utecht said...

Ahhh, they're SO cute!
I know what a hassle they can be too. They get that dust all over everything. One good thing though, at least they're not ducklings. :-)