Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Waiting on Lambs


I've never been less prepared for lambing than this spring. The CD&T shots were given just today-not 3 weeks ago like usual. Rachel and Anna Belle were just crutched this evening. I'm pretty sure they will lamb by Saturday. They are very close.
All the other years I fretted way more. Lambing is just around the corner and I feel like I should be more of a basket case by now. It's not that I don't care or that I'm confident everything will go just fine. But this year...I guess I have faith.
Faith that I will get what I need from this experience..Faith that I will love what I get...Faith that no matter how hard it is, I will learn something I need to know. Oh, and one more thing...faith in my ewes...they know what to do.
This year I expect selenium deficiency problems. There might be weak lambs born here. I've prepared for it as best I can...BoSe shots ready to go...but I have to accept that this might not be an easy year. It might be another round of heartache. But I did what the vet and nutritionist told me to do. I also used my best judgement. Now I must sit back, pray, and rejoice. I'm fortunate! Some people long to be shepherds. I AM a shepherd. These are my sheep. I'm living my childhood dream. I am content.
Well, I'm not so content with the slushy ground around the farm. We had quite a bit of bare, dry ground up until the pastor dismissed us from church 10am Sunday morning. The snow came down fiercely and it just didn't stop. School was cancelled on Monday because there was 12 to 24 inches of heavy wet snow across the county and beyond. Now the ewe pen by the barn-supposedly the fresh paddock that I just moved the girls to last night-is a mess of slush and puddles. So unpleasant. The ground is too frozen to put electronet posts into, so I'm stuck with the slush until something warms up. At least the barn floor is dry and well bedded. The lambs will be fine as long as they stay in the jugs.
Well this tired farm girl is going up to sleep. Tomorrow night I think I will have to do a barn check or two so I might as well rest now and enjoy it. May all be well with you.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Can't wait to hear your lambie news. I probably at least have another week until Dinah lambs, followed in a few days by Rechel. It's supposed to be nice this weekend, so I'm looking forward to getting Rechel and her boys out of their (big) jug and introduced to the rest of the girls.

Becky Utecht said...

Rachel looks great Sabrina. Best wishes for lambing. I can't wait to hear all about it. I'm hoping things will go very well since you've been working so hard on the mineral issues and have the BoSe shots ready, etc.