Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Boston Lake Ris

Ris again. I really like this little lamb. He's already caught up in size to the other lambs. He just impresses me when I look at him.
Impressions, I have been learning, are completely subjective. Clancy thinks Ris is correct-but he thinks Bam far outshines all the other lambs.
This morning I had the opportunity to sit out in the field with the ewe flock for a while. It was so absolutely grounding. I'm not even going to try to put my experience into words. But I felt for a while, what it might have been like to be a shepherd long ago. I was thinking of King David as a little boy...As I pulled my over-large hooded sweatshirt over my knees and over my head, I found this perfect position that I could maintain for a long time...I thought about how appropriate a very large cloak must have been to a shepherd. I sat there until I felt I had become part of the land, and the sky, and the blowing wind. I didn't want to ever return to ordinary life.
But I must. All sorts of things need my attention. Today was the last day of school for my boys. Tomorrow onward they will be home most of the time. I am looking forward to their constant company. It was good to take a bit of time for myself before the plunge into summer, though.

No comments: