My shearing date is set for next week if the weather holds. Clancy and I hand-sheared Bombarde & Arvada before they left for the processor. We also hand-sheared LRO January because it looked like she may lamb before next week. She is filling out nicely, but still a few days away.
My new Rocky Sheep Coats came in the mail yesterday. January is the only one I have coated so far. She is wearing a size C. I measured the sheep in full fleece, then went down two sizes to arrive at their "shorn" size.
And I got it completely wrong.
I ordered many coats that are just too small-unless I want to coat a lamb. So I will be sending quite a few back to trade in for the right sizes. But before I do that, I'm going to outfit all the sheep NOW in their full fleeces so I know exactly how big they really are capable of getting next year.