Saturday, January 5, 2008

Evening



Last night, as I was hauling water to the sheep, a sudden golden light set everything aglow. It was just like magic. Since I haven't posted for a while, I wanted to run to the house to get the camera. But I was almost to the ram pen with the buckets so I just finished my chore. The stunning light had faded to a sorbet sunset by the time I got outside to take a picture. And the photos, of course, don't really do the clouds and colors justice.
Sunsets are so lovely this time of year. I didn't understand the science that creates such beauty when I was really young. I believed God knew people would get sad in winter with only white and grey across the landscape. So he gave us raspberry sunsets and lemon-orange dawns. Even though I've learned that sunlight has to travel through a greater slice of atmosphere at this northern latitude in winter, and the long red/orange light wavelengths are less likely to scatter than the short blue light wave lengths, I don't think my original, innocent explanation is incompatible with science.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love your term "sorbet sunset" -- and your explanation for the beautiful sunrises and sunsets! We don't see as many this time of the year because of our often-cloudy winter weather.

Kim said...

What a gorgeous photo, Sabrina! Thanks for sharing it.