Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Big Day

Friday did not get off to the early start I had hoped for. But by 10 am I was zipping East on Highway 2 on my way to Becky's house to visit with her and Kim.

Quite a while back I agreed to meet the wood buyer from Texas on this date. I was using the stick delivery as my excuse to spend the day visiting Becky and her wonderful flock of Shetlands. Then Kim sweetened the deal with an offer I could not refuse. (More later.) At the last minute the wood buyer had to postpone our connection until after Labor Day. My cover was blown. Clancy's suspicions were confirmed-this trip was all about sheep and visiting friends. :)

I spent a whole afternoon in fun conversation with Becky and Kim. And I had the pleasure of spending some time with Becky's flock. Her BFL cross lambs are amazing, especially the youngest little ewe lamb, Dot. I had no previous interest in BFL's, but those cross-lambies were very persuasive. I'll have to think more about that. Plus, they were as cute as Shetlands with Bunny Ears. I want one! Then there was that little purebred Katmoget ewe lamb that had fleece like a cloud. (Becky wouldn't part with her or that adorable Dot.) I was in Shetland heaven.

I also got to try out a spinning wheel for the first time. I want one of those too. And Kim and Becky are up to all kinds of fun projects. It was like a Girls' Day Out for me. I had so much fun. Thank You, Ladies!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Ooooh, I'm jealous. I want a sheepy girls' day out, too! I shouldn't complain, because I got kind of a horsey girls' day out on Sunday at the show.

So you aren't a spinner (yet :-)? Or have you been using a drop spindle? My sheep suckered me into spinning, like some of my Shetland mentor-friends predicted they would. I picked up an inexpensive, used, kit Louet wheel last fall, and spin whenever I can (not nearly often enough!).

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

I use drop spindles. Most machines "challenge" me! But I felt quite "at one" with the spindle. Now after three years of spinning that way I had the courage to put my foot on the treadle of Becky's Louet Victoria-a tiny travel wheel-and I loved it.