Sunday, May 24, 2009

Half-Poll Roux?

Rigg and Roux are exactly 4 weeks old today. They are Rai Min's twin ram lambs, but they couldn't be more different. Rigg has long, fluffy, straight grey wool. And Roux has a short, musket ultra-crimp coat.
Roux may also be the only ram lamb this year that received a polled gene from his sire.
I don't believe Rai Min has any polled potential. I'm simply breeding her to Bombarde in hopes of a promising ewe lamb. So far she has given me three ram lambs. Typical of her contrary attitude.
All the ram lambs have wide, round horn bases-with solid thick horn coming in. Roux's horn base, by comparison, is hardly anything. The little horns coming in are sort of knife blade shaped and very wiggly. I've even seen him head butt a couple of the other ram lambs a time or two and it literally makes his knees buckle and he walks around shaking his head for a while.
In spite of the fact that I don't have room to keep him, I like this little guy. He has great hind quarters like his sire. I was hoping for a katmoget half-poll to keep from Bombarde. The kat ram lamb that Sian gave me has the biggest horns of all the Bombarde lambs, though.
Roux shows off his tail next to Duvie-a yearling. The halo of dark hair on his back half is receding as his wool comes in more and more. His little backside has tiny crimp now just like his neck. It is soft, too. Come on Rai Min-give me a ewe lamb like this.






8 comments:

Juliann said...

NICE!

Becky Utecht said...

I love his great tail and his nice back end Sabrina. His horns remind me of the ones on Geronimo, a non-registered ram lamb we got out of Bombarde.

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

Thank you for the compliments.

So do you think he is probably a half-poll if those horns are so thin and loose?

Never had my hands on a half-poll lamb before to compare.

Did you think Geronimo had the polled gene, Becky? I only vaguely remember him.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Juliann said...

He looks scurred to me, hard to know if they'll continue to grow, or get knocked off. He's a sharp little fellow regardless.

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

Thanks, Juliann. Just have to wait and see.

I keep thinking--why did he have to be musket? Oh well.

Michelle said...

He looks like all my half-polls, Sabrina. If you figure out how to get EVERYthing you ordered all in one lamby package, let me know!

Juliann said...

I'd rather have a nice musket with little bitty scurs than a solid with large pain in the butt scurs that no one will want to buy when I'm done with him. :)

Becky Utecht said...

Yes, I thought Geronimo had the polled gene. That's why I thought Bombarde was a half-poll. He sired a scurred ram and a nicely horned one.